Monday, October 18, 2010

Microsoft Word Resume Template - Dig This

I have finally hit pay dirt; I discovered the Microsoft Word Resume Template. In case you don't remember, my current life quest is to develop the ultimate resume. Not a quirky obsession - okay maybe it is - but it's also necessary. My company thinks they can do without me. I'm sure they can't, but we agreed to disagree on that point. They've given me until the start of next year to find a new cubicle somewhere else. So now I'm on the 3 month countdown to my next new and exciting career (I hope).

Being none too resume savvy, I've been exploring what's out there in terms of resume helpers. And now I've found (drum roll please) the Microsoft Word Resume Templates. This is so sweet.

So I go online, find this page for Microsoft Office Online. There are a lot of job specific examples, but I decide to check out the Basic designs, since I'm a pretty down to earth guy. And there it is, singing to me (I get emotional about these things): the Oriel theme Microsoft Word resume template.

I had to look up Oriel in the dictionary and it means a bay window. I don't know what that's all about. The design has an orange bar down the right side with an orange circle near the bottom right corner. Your name goes on the Orange bar in a vertical alignment, along with the basic contact info: address, phone, email. Then the main resume info goes in normal format to the left of the orange bar. This template suggests four sections to complete: Objective, Skills, Experience, and Education. It's simple, has some flair I love it.

Next I venture into the career specific resumes, just for kicks. They have everything from Accounts Payable to Warehouse Management. I decide to check out the resume for a helicopter pilot. I always wanted to be one. It shows the usual headers: education, qualifications but then it has some career specific entries: Licenses and Certifications, and Flight Hours (and we're not talking frequent flyer miles).

Now I'm hooked on this whole Microsoft Word Resume Template site. I've got to check out the situation specific resumes. I'm hoping they'll have one for the thirty-something, slightly balding (only slightly, mind you. A microscopic bit of receding hairline, actually. And no, I'm not sensitive about this at all. Why did I even bring it up?), professional who wants to have fun and get paid for it.

Let's check out "Career Change Resume with Volunteer Experience." It's pretty standard, but includes a "profile" section instead of the "objective" section. And it focuses on experience rather than specific employment details. Lets you state your strengths in more general terms so you aren't cubby holed into a specific career path.

There are other situation specific examples, such as high school graduate, college graduate, and return to workforce.

If you're like me - and for the sake of the workforce let's hope you're not - then you'll probably find this Microsoft Word Resume Templates site to be of great help. And no, I'm not paid by Microsoft to say this.

Source: http://ezinearticles.com/

1 comment:

  1. I have finally hit pay dirt; I discovered the Microsoft Word Resume Template. In case you don't remember, my current life quest is to develop the ultimate resume. Not a quirky obsession - okay maybe it is - but it's also necessary. survival warehouse coupon

    ReplyDelete